Posts Tagged ‘ restoration group ’

Queen’s Park

January 11, 2013
Queen's Park

Queen’s Park is the jewel in Heywood’s crown. It has been cleaned up and refurbished in recent years, with a great cafe, play area and plenty of well-maintained open space. The history of the park is as follows. In 1873 Martin J Newhouse, a wealthy Heywood merchant, died without making a will. A sum of £10,000 was then passed to Queen Victoria who gave the money to the people of Heywood. After much deliberation, the Heywood board decided on a park for the town and Queen’s Park was created. The original park was restricted to 20 acres, known locally as…

Read more »