Heywood Places

Heywood Railway Station

January 11, 2013
By
Heywood Railway Station

The original Heywood Railway Station station opened on the national rail network in 1841 and closed in 1970. It re-opened on 6 September 2003 as an extension of the East Lancashire Railway from Bury Bolton Street. The boundary between the ELR and the national rail network is located a short distance east of the station, at Hopwood. £300 million has been pledged to link Heywood Railway Station back to the National Rail Network, which would see services direct to Manchester via Castleton. The original station was situated immediately opposite the terminal wharf of the Heywood Branch Canal. The East Lancashire Railway station…

Read more »

Queen’s Park

January 11, 2013
By
Queen's Park

Queen’s Park is the jewel in Heywood’s crown. It has been cleaned up and refurbished in recent years, with a great cafe, play area and plenty of well-maintained open space. The history of the park is as follows. In 1873 Martin J Newhouse, a wealthy Heywood merchant, died without making a will. A sum of £10,000 was then passed to Queen Victoria who gave the money to the people of Heywood. After much deliberation, the Heywood board decided on a park for the town and Queen’s Park was created. The original park was restricted to 20 acres, known locally as…

Read more »